Vehicles, essential to society, are continually increasing in use. However, throughout their life cycle vehicles impact the environment in several ways: energy and resource consumption, waste generation during manufacturing and use, and disposal at the end of their useful lives. 

About 75 percent of end-of- life vehicles, mainly metals, are recyclable in the European Union. The rest (~25%) of the vehicle is considered waste and generally goes to landfills. Environmental legislation of the European Union requires the reduction of this waste to a maximum of 5 percent by 2015.

 

Each year in Europe end-of-life vehicles create 8-9 tonnes of waste which must be dealt with effectively. The EU’s end-of-life vehicles directive requires that at least 85% of the materials by weight are reused or recovered; this includes 5% energy recovery. By 2015 this target will increase to 95% to include 10% energy recovery.

End-of-life vehicle waste is becoming a priority issue for the European Commission, and a recent study looked at the cost of landfill, advanced thermal treatment and the incineration of waste from vehicle recycling factories, as well as the profitability of factories run under strict guidelines set out by their directives.

There are a variety of different materials used in vehicle manufacture which all pose different problems in recycling. The introduction of electric vehicles and the use of lithium batteries and rare earth materials has introduced further recycling requirements which the industry must endeavour to meet.

 

Partspeed take the environmental impact very seriously, and are constantly looking for new ways to provide the least impact on the environment by looking for the most effective way of dismantling our vehicles so that every part that is recyclable will be recycled.

Sign up for our newsletter! for all the latest news about Partspeed, Used Car Parts, Scrapping your car and all things automotive recycling!